Around 40 classic Land Rovers used the National Memorial to the Few at Capel-le-Ferne as an impressive photoshoot backdrop before leaving for France on a charity run.
Just after daybreak on Saturday 10 May the vehicles, built between 1948 and 1975, left the Memorial for Dover and a ferry crossing to France, where they travelled through Calais, Cap Blanc Nez, Boulogne and Le Touquet before returning the next day.
The 2014 Charity Land Rover Run was organised to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Holiday Fund, and the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust was delighted to let organiser Peter Wales use the clifftop surroundings of the National Memorial as the departure point.
The classic event, now in its fifth year, is expected to raise a significant sum for the charity – and early morning coffee and souvenir sales contributed nearly £300 to the Trust’s own coffers.
The 100 or so people taking part took the chance to see the fantastic progress that the Trust is making on The Wing, where the steel framework is now complete and ready for the next stage of construction. The building is on course to be finished later this year.